Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Harvest 2008

What a year it has been for farming. A very wet spring turned into a wet fall. Basically the story goes...combine for 2 days - rain for 2 days - wait for the ground to dry for 2 days - back to fieldwork for 2 days - rain for 2 days - you get the point. We are finally on the last field but it is the largest field and hilly (so hilly and rocky that we call it the Montana farm) so it will take several days to finish. Ben said, "don't be surprised if we are in the fields on Thanksgiving. I am thinking...WONDERFUL! But that is part of farming and I was aware of it from the get go. Hopefully next year will be more typical.

Let's just get my BIG OOOPPPPS out of the way. Like I said, lots of rain this year so there are still soft spots in the field. I found one...lucky me! Yep, I was driving the tractor and grain cart when it sunk probably 2 to 3 foot into the field on the auger side to boot. The grain cart was fully loaded, 56,000+ lbs. We had to unload the corn before the cart was coming out of the ground. The only way to do it was to shoot the corn back into the combine which made a big pile of corn.


Brad's caption for this photo: "This is what it looks like when a woman does a mans job"




OUT! But look at that pile of corn. Ben says I better get the scoop shovel out.


Remember Brad's caption for the photo of my little oopps??? Plus the razzing that I got from him.....

REVENGE!!! KARMA!!! Whichever!

15 minutes later....

He slid the semi trailer into the ditch. I had to laugh AND get the camera back out.

Notice the front tire of the trailer, it is jammed into the hopper. The back tire is in the ditch.


I bet you can imagine how thrilled Ben was about all this. The poor guy always has to come along to fix our screw-ups. He stayed pretty calm though. I didn't get yelled at or even a guilt trip. I thought I might be fired after that mishap but no such luck. Still had to go back out there the next day.

Here are some photos from Harvest 2008...

Grandpa and Ryan working on the combine in early October




Ben working on the corn head




Ry looks so little in front of this big machine




This probably one of my favorite photos




Ben is using one of his old tractors that he loves to buy and fix up. He has a big ole smile on his face.




My little farmer boy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog searching profiles. Ahhh the life of an Iowa Farmer! Never a dull moment!

Anonymous said...

LOVE it! Dad totally deserved that! So funny.